Saturday, July 29, 2017

D23 and Disneyland 2017 Trip - Disneyland Day 3


The last parks day always dawns, no matter how badly you wish, like Maui, you could hold back the sun with your fishhook.

And indeed, it was our last parks day of our vacation. We had one more night at the hotel this night, but had to leave for the airport at around 9:30 am, so this would be our last day at Disneyland.

Much like the previous day, this day dawned with an early breakfast, a park opener morning, and a wait in the fast pass queue for a Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout fast pass.


We stopped by the Animation Building again so I could pose with the pretty words.


And with Walt's statue at California Adventure.


But then we walked out of California Adventure, and back over to Disneyland, since our fast pass time didn't start till after 10.

We got our photo in front of the train station. Walt stood here.


And Tom asked what rides were priorities. "Honestly?" I said... "The carousel." And it was my favorite classic Disneyland ride of the trip. There's something special about the carousel at Disneyland. Of course knowing it's Walt's carousel is one reason why, but the snug closeness of everything in that area just feels right when you're up there... looking at the castle, then Mister Toad's Wild Ride, then Dumbo, each fly by in turn as you listen to calliope-played versions of your favorite Disney songs....

I thought it worthy of a selfie or two.



And had Tom take a picture to showcase that I chose the prettiest horse on the carousel.


I really really wanted to meet Rapunzel in my Rapunzel Disneybound, so we waited for her. Gaston came out briefly to pose at the pedestal area.


We wound up being first in line for Rapunzel and Flynn, which was good, because our fast pass time over at California Adventure was perilously close to past.

Rapunzel was instantly thrilled with my Disneybound. She asked me if Pascal had helped me with my hair, and I told her he had gathered the flowers for me. She said that Pascal does the little braids in the large braid of her hair. And sure enough, there are tiny little braids in her big braid. Cute!!

Apparently Tom and Flynn talked about Tom's favorite subject relating to their story: Maximus. Apparently Flynn and Max are getting along better now than they were last December, because in December when Tom met Flynn and asked after Max, Flynn said "you want him?" and Tom exclaimed "YES!" This time, Flynn admitted that really he's quite a nice horse.


I'll do a brief mention of my outfit here. The skirt is from Hot Topic, and of course features the lantern scene from Tangled. The Pascal I actually had mom help me make hooks for on my shirt, but he didn't want to stay on, so I kept him hooked onto my purse for most of the day. I altered the shirt: I bought a purple cotton tank at Goodwill and used a bleach pen to add the sun from Corona's emblem. I then sprayed it with bleach solution in a bottle to add a speckled, dreamy effect. You can see this pretty well on our pictures above from in front of Disneyland. The hair flowers were just made from Dollar Tree silk flowers glued to clips. :)


We weren't sure we were going to make it back over to DCA in time for our fast pass, especially when we saw the 10am queue to get in. I have to mention here how totally unwieldy the process is at Disneyland to get into the parks. We are so spoiled by magic bands, and just tapping them to a Mickey and sticking our fingers on a keypad. At Disneyland, everyone has different sorts of passes, all of which are hand-scanned in using hand held scanners by attendants. And if it's your first day there, the attendant then has to take your photo. It makes the entry process so lengthy!! I honestly don't see why Disneyland can't get the magic band system.

Thankfully just when we thought we were doomed, Tom's eagle eye spotted a new ticket taking line opening up, and we darted to it. So we got there in time for our Mission Breakout fast pass.


See the gal in pink next to me on the ride? When we were waiting to go in, she complimented my Disneybound, and we got to talking. When we got off the ride, she mentioned that she had a return fastpass ticket given to her by a Cast Member that was good for herself and two others. Did we want to get on again?

She was so kind to offer to share her Disney magic with us, and of course we said yes, so we went on again for our last trip on Mission Breakout, probably ever since our trip to Disneyland was likely a one-and-done experience.


I was trying to look like I was blowing a kiss in the above photo, and Tom was flexing. See the lady at lower left? She also started talking to us in line about Disneybounding, and it was really a fun moment of all of us sharing what we've done, how fun, etc.

I looked on the Disneyland app after we finished riding, and saw that Nick and Judy were meeting, pretty much right then. So we went over to their queue. After all, Tom had waited to take a photo with the namesake of my outfit, so I was happy to take a photo with the namesake of his.

Speaking of which, Tom got more compliments on this shirt than I think he has for any other shirt he's worn, including his Baymax and Sadness one, which he got a LOT of compliments on. Incidentally I have to gloat that both shirts are designs I found and gave him as gifts. :)

Judy instantly saw Tom's shirt and flipped. Nick was sad he wasn't on it, but I told him he was my favorite, and how much I adore foxes and we have the same hair color, so he led me away to hang out together.


Love this group photo!


Fist bumps from Judy!


Just chillin' with Nick.


And of course hugs.




We walked back over to Disneyland, as I was discontent with how many things I had left undone there. We went to the Tiki Room, which I may have mentioned we disagreed on: Tom prefers the Disney World version, and I thought the Disneyland one was actually superior. Plus, refreshingly enough, unlike at Magic Kingdom where almost no one seems to pay attention in the Tiki Room show, at Disneyland, everyone was clapping, smiling, and enjoying it.

After the Tiki Room, we were hungry, and it was also almost 12:15, which meant we had to check in for our flight on Southwest the next day. Just as we got to the New Orleans area, where I knew there was food we wanted to try, and hopefully a good cell service spot to check in on our flight, I caught my only glimpse of Facilier on our trip.

At. The. One. Time. I. Couldn't. Follow. Him., because we HAD to check in for our flight or end up with terrible seats. AGGHHGHGH


The good news is, we got a good spot in the seat line for our flight the next day, and we ate the most exquisitely good clam chowder in bread bowls from the Royal Street Veranda in New Orleans Square. This was also something I'd seen recommended on YouTube. And ohhhh was it good. Seriously some of the best clam chowder I've ever had. Just looking at the picture makes me hungry, and I just ate.


We moseyed over to Fantasyland so that I could ride at least a couple of the classic dark rides there. First up was Snow White's Scary Adventure. Where there was this adorable little bench in the load area.


Right next to this prop cottage that I want to make mine.


Next up was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the classic dark ride where you drink, drive, go to jail, die, and end up in hell. Wait, what? No, really. Fun for all ages (?)!

The theming of Toad Manor was so well done. I was amused by the classic Victorian Gothic manor house interior with toad-y details. Books like Ivantoad lined the shelves.



Look at the carvings at the bases of the beams!


Tom was fading fast, so even though it was our final day, I suggested perhaps a mid-day break. We walked back through the castle (which doesn't take long here!) and I asked if we could finally try my first churro.

WHERE HAS THIS SWEET DELICIOUSNESS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!


To get back to the front of the park, we decided to take one of the Main Street vehicles, which run all day long, unlike the Magic Kingdom, where I believe they mostly only run in the mornings?

We went on the double decker bus, and I took our selfie upstairs.


Along with another cute Coke bottle shot.


I asked if we could look back in the Emporium before we left, and Tom agreed. He saw the Dapper Dans setting up to do a performance outside, and asked if I wanted to watch, but I was so hot and the air conditioning was so enticing, I said no thank you. Apparently the Dapper Dans felt the same, because they came to me instead, opting to do their performance inside. Another special magical Disney moment: when I couldn't go to them, they came to me.



Another photo of the awesome Mickey shorts figures.


We went back to our hotel, which really is less of a big detour at Disneyland...going back to the hotel mid-day at Disney World means spending at least half an hour getting there, and the time to catch a bus back. Tom took a nap for an hour and a half or so, while I changed my outfit, and left the backpack in the room for the evening.

We headed back into Disney California Adventure. There wasn't much of a line, so we decided to do the "What Marvel Superhero Are You?" trivia. Shockingly, we were both Spider-man. There was a photo op there for you to pose like your superhero.


Next we met Captain America!


It may be hard to hear in the video, but Tom asked him how his checklist of things to learn after being frozen was going, especially disco. He did a short demonstration, then mentioned he heard that there was something new called hashtags. Tom delivered the punchline "I don't know about hashtags, only hash browns," to which he said "that's what I said! Well done, sir."



I love how it looks like I'm giving him side-eye in this one. Apparently I'm team Iron Man in Civil War without even knowing it. Hail Hydra indeed.


He suggested we pose as the Avengers. Since I have red hair, Black Widow was my assignment, and he told me to pose proud and confident. You can probably guess who Tom was supposed to be.



You get to see three pictures because I think Tom's Hulk face is about the cutest thing ever. Yes, I'm mushy. So what? Shaddup.


Jeff had sent me a text that day reminding me to be sure to check out Beast's Library at the Animation Building. I had heard about it online, but had totally forgotten, so I was thankful for the reminder.

Tucked into the back of the building is a gem. First you go in this GORGEOUS room filled with steampunk-looking or sorcerer-looking tools that show you how the art of animation is done. It was stunning enough. On the wall near the doorway to the next room was this sign:



Which led to Beast's library. Which made me tear up, as all things Beauty and the Beast do.




We were feeling peckish, so we stopped by the hot dog quick service and got this "Angry Little Pudding Cup," meant to honor Groot with the french toast sticks at the top like his branchy little self, and the pudding like dirt. It was quite good!


I also got this "Galactic Hot Dog" which is described as:

All-Beef Hot Dog topped with Caramelized Pineapple, Red Onion, Red Bell Peppers and glazed with Teriyaki Sauce served with filmstrip Fries

It was very good!! Tom also got a dog, but a plain one.



We decided to try to catch the World of Color night time show. We figured unlike Fantasmic, where you are in a tiny area and stuck trying to get out afterward, we could just sort of find a halfway decent spot with easy exit access after. Instead, we wound up with quite a nice spot with our backs to a tree so I could lean up against it on tiptoe and see over everyone's heads.


Afterward, we ducked into a gift shop until the crowds lessened, and I actually wound up buying a Belle pin in here.


We walked over to Cars Land, and admired how *absolutely stunning* it is there after dark. Wow.






We also went on Luigi's Rollickin Roadsters. Watching it, it doesn't look like it would be all that that much fun, but it really was!! All of the cars "dance" in time to a different song, and it really feels like you're dancing with your car.




We saw a Photo Pass photographer taking shots in Cars Land, and got a couple good ones.



Finally, to end the night, we walked back over to Disneyland, literally just to eat one more churro from a cart (seriously, what are these made of? Sunlight and fairy dust??) while looking down Main Street at the castle. As we stood there, I heard a whistle, and the Disneyland train, which hasn't been running for a year or so now while they made updates, was doing a test run and going by the Main Street depot. Another moment of Disney magic. I looked at the train, and got a bit teary-eyed, realizing that here was Walt's train, at Walt's park.

Even though Disney World is home, Disneyland was a fun place to visit, and had its own moments of magic. We may never get back there again (with limited time off and funds, we would rather spend both on our "home" spot), but it was so worth it to take our "pilgrimage" to the place that Walt dreamed of. Were it not for Disneyland, we never would have had Disney World, or all of the magic that both places contain.




No comments:

Post a Comment